Whether you like to delve into real-life or escape into fantasy, why not spend some time reading or listening to a story?
Interested in other activities or art forms? Get inspired
(Updated 14th April 2021)
- Become part of the story. During April and May, 60 Miles By Road or Rail are collecting stories via zoom of what made Corby the town it is today.
- If you prefer to hear about real lived experiences, read You Must Stay At Home, about homelessness during the pandemic. If you live in Wellingborough you can now order one of a limited number of FREE copies to be sent via post.
- Find true stories at The National Archives, where they host lots of online content including their latest exhibition, Letters of love, loss and longing.
- Get involved in this year’s ‘Wild World Heroes’ Summer Reading Challenge online or in your local library in Corby or Wellingborough this June.
- You may have missed World Book Day on 3rd March but you can still find the top 100 Stories to Share and join the World Book Day Book Club on their website.
- *COMING SOON in 2021* Tales of life & events in Wellingborough, gathered from across generations, for the whole community to enjoy. A project by writer Karen Rust supported by our Cultivate programme.
- Download MBD‘s digital story app, Atom and Luna: The Quest For Old Mother Redbeard, an interactive Augmented Reality tale for the whole family. Bring the beauty of a pop-up storybook to your own tabletop with the help of an android or apple smartphone/tablet.
- Get some great book recommendations to increase wellbeing for all ages through the Read, Talk, Share campaign. It expands The Reading Agency‘s Reading Well and Reading Friends programmes, to tackle loneliness and supporting people in their journey towards better mental health.
- Ever wondered about the story of your own family? If you’re spending more time at home this is a great opportunity to start delving into the stories of your ancestors, and Northamptonshire Libraries provide free home access to library members to Find My Past and Ancestry UK Library edition.
- Interested in true local stories? Read Mike Ingram’s forensic look at the most famous Northamptonshire conspiracy, The Gunpowder Plot in the Nene Quirer.
- Storyline Online hosts a treasure trove of videos of children’s books being read by celebrated actors for children, parents, caregivers and educators to access 24 hours a day.
- Follow your local library on facebook for loads of book and activity ideas as both Corby Library and Wellingborough Library are still offering some library services – for more updates on library provision visit Northamptonshire Libraries.
- Read an eBook or listen to an eAudiobook available FREE from BorrowBox for any device – just activate with your existing library membership!
- Earlier in the year to help parents entertain their children during school closures, Audible made hundreds of audiobooks free to listen to…many of which are literary classics that will appeal to adults and children alike.
- Looking for something unique? Do you have an interest in digital stories, electronic literature or digital art? Then have a look around the Digital Fiction Curios archive to experience something immersive and unique.
- Booktrust have lots of resources to encourage a love of reading in children, from classic children’s stories to interactive books to watch with signing as well as free, fun games to enjoy online.
- Read about Corby’s Living Legends online, as we have now made our book including 10 stories from local people available online as a pdf document.
- Don’t forget that every night CBeebies have a bedtime story that you and your children can also access on the CBeebies Storytime app.