Children & Young People
Find out about creative opportunities for children and young people in Corby, Wellingborough and nearby.
(Updated 19th November 2021)
- Corby Library and Wellingborough Library offer loads of fantastic opportunities for children and families all year round and run creative seasonal activities during school holidays, as well as the annual Summer Reading Challenge.
- Check out the Fantastic For Families website for events and activities (some to do at home).
- Have a look at the Theatre section of the Fantastic for Families website for all sorts of family-friendly shows to view online.
- Find something to do at the Get Creative website.
- Find the top 100 Stories to Share and join the Book Club on the World Book Day website.
Pre-school children and their grown-ups
- Explore the Gruffalo Spotters trail at Fineshade Wood.
- Enjoy music, movement, crafts and a cuppa at Bub Club in Corby.
- Take your little ones to Mini Musical Movers at The Core.
- Videos from Baby and Me sensory activities for you to do at home.
- Pen Green Centre are offering FREE online sessions for music, Songs and Rhymes. Follow them on facebook for updates.
- Liz Clark, made some fab dance and movement videos during the first lockdown for you to to enjoy at home.
- Find lots of online events and at-home activities on the Fantastic For Families website.
- Take part in your own Sense Safari at home, at school, or outdoors with Outside In Theatre.
- Carbon Theatre have put their Sensory Adventures videos online for you to enjoy at home.
- Try some fantastic crafts, indoor and outdoor activities and storytelling at home with The Wild Tribe.
Primary school age children
- Download some free festive crafts activity ideas to make decorations from nature.
- An augmented reality Dinosaur Safari is live in East Carlton Countryside Park and West Glebe Park in Corby – just download the Love Exploring app to take part.
- Have a go at making puppets with Josh Macrow.
- The Core at Corby Cube have regular creative sessions for children and young people and have a limited number of bursary places for those on a low income.
- Family Learning Festival takes place from 18th – 30th October at Corby Library, where they are running an Autumn scavenger hunt, Halloween treasure hunt as well as pumpkin lantern, shark and spider crafts, storytelling and more!
- Northants Music and Performing Arts Trust centres in Wellingborough and Corby. and also have an online programme through their NMPATVC Virtual Centre.
- Make a Christmas Cracker with Sarah Walpole.
- Storyline Online hosts a treasure trove of videos of children’s books being read by celebrated actors for children, parents, caregivers and educators to access 24 hours a day.
Primary/Secondary school age children
- Children and young people in schools and clubs can access free films through Into Film and take part in the world’s largest youth film festival.
- Join Fermynwoods Contemporary Arts‘ Minecraft world of Rockingham Castle!
- Age 9 – 17? Join Writing East Midlands online Young Writers group with local writer Karen Rust, sessions are free, fun and very welcoming.
- Age 5 – 19? Sign up to find out more about submitting work to The Royal Academy‘s Young Artists’ Summer Show.
- Age 6 – 15 years old? Then you can earn yourself a Blue Peter badge to gain FREE entry into loads of great UK attractions! You can earn a blue badge by sending in a story, craft make, picture or poem. Or why not apply for a special music badge! Even if you don’t have a musical instrument at home you can use the Bring the Noise interactive tool!
- Visit the Scouts website for some great make and do activities to keep the children occupied during your time at home – these challenges can even count towards Beaver, Cub or Scout Activity Badges!
- Sign up to FREE weekly Youth Music sessions in Corby or Wellingborough. A new music production group for 12-18 year olds to learn new skills working with professional musicians and producers.
- Age 11 – 24? HD Media CIC on the job training/experience for future careers in film, television and web-casting.
- Age 11 – 18? Join the Oakley Rangers are looking for new band members aged 11 – 18 for their Rockschool style music lessons.
- Check out The Creation Station for activities for 12 – 18 year olds at the Core at Corby Cube.
- Aged 12 – 25? Join Warts and All Theatre‘s Wellingborough Young Producers to develop your creativity, confidence and leadership skills.
- Corby Amateur Theatrical Society welcomes new members over 14 years of age.
- Screen Northants Academy provides young people age14-25 with an enriching film industry experience.
- Apply for funding from The Travers Foundation or apply for their annual Travers Rising Stars challenge.
- The Core at Corby Cube and Royal & Derngate have bursary places available for their opportunities for young people as well as offering discounts on some shows.
- Dance4 has opportunities for young dancers across the East Midlands
Keep in Touch
For future updates on news, events and opportunities please sign up to the e-newsletter or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. Interested in other activities or art forms? Get inspired