- This event has passed.
Enjoy a story – ideas & inspiration
12th February 2021 - 12th March 2021Free
Enjoy a Story
If you’re tired of the news, why not enjoy a story instead?
(Updated 12th February 2021)
- Download MBD‘s digital story app, Atom and Luna: The Quest For Old Mother Redbeard, an interactive Augmented Reality tale for the whole family. Bring the beauty of a pop-up storybook to your own tabletop with the help of an android or apple smartphone/tablet.
- Get involved in World Book Day on 3rd March 2021 – find the top 100 Stories to Share and join the brand new World Book Day Book Club.
- Get some great book recommendations to increase wellbeing for all ages through the Read, Talk, Share campaign. It expands The Reading Agency‘s Reading Well and Reading Friends programmes, to tackle loneliness and supporting people in their journey towards better mental health.
- *COMING SOON in 2021* Tales of life & events in Wellingborough, gathered from across generations, for the whole community to enjoy. A project by writer Karen Rust supported by our Cultivate programme.
- Ever wondered about the story of your own family? If you’re spending more time at home this is a great opportunity to start delving into the stories of your ancestors, and Northamptonshire Libraries provide free home access to library members to Find My Past and Ancestry UK Library edition.
- Interested in true local stories? Read Mike Ingram’s forensic look at the most famous Northamptonshire conspiracy, The Gunpowder Plot in the Nene Quirer.
- Storyline Online hosts a treasure trove of videos of children’s books being read by celebrated actors for children, parents, caregivers and educators to access 24 hours a day.
- Follow your local library on facebook for loads of book and activity ideas as both Corby Library and Wellingborough Library are still offering some library services – for more updates on library provision visit Northamptonshire Libraries.
- Read an eBook or listen to an eAudiobook available FREE from BorrowBox for any device – just activate with your existing library membership!
- Earlier in the year to help parents entertain their children during school closures, Audible made hundreds of audiobooks free to listen to…many of which are literary classics that will appeal to adults and children alike.
- Looking for something unique? Do you have an interest in digital stories, electronic literature or digital art? Then have a look around the Digital Fiction Curios archive to experience something immersive and unique.
- Booktrust have lots of resources to encourage a love of reading in children, from classic children’s stories to interactive books to watch with signing as well as free, fun games to enjoy online.
- Read about Corby’s Living Legends online, as we have now made our book including 10 stories from local people available online as a pdf document.
- Don’t forget that every night CBeebies have a bedtime story that you and your children can also access on the CBeebies Storytime app.
- Jolabokaflod is a hugely popular tradition in Iceland of giving books at Christmas. On Christmas Eve, families and friends gather at home and after their main meal, they exchange books as presents. Then they spend the rest of the evening reading them. The literal translation is ‘Yule Book Flood’ and it’s a tradition that has been enjoyed by Icelanders for more than 70 years.
Keep in Touch
For future updates on news, events and opportunities please sign up to the e-newsletter or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.