Black History Month programme
Venue: Wellingborough African Caribbean Association, Rock Street Community Complex, 27-29 Rock Street, Wellingborough, NN8 4LW [link to map]
Cost: All events are FREE entry, activities and refreshments.
Booking/info: No booking required for events but for more details contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Launch of Black History Month
Monday 4 October, 7 – 9pm
Launch of Black History Month: The Best of Sir Gordon Greenidge and Caribbean Quiz.
An evening with the most destructive and fearsome opening batsman in the world during West Indies’ domination in the 1980s.
Light Caribbean refreshments/snacks provided.
The Black Contribution to History
Saturday 9 October, 7 – 9pm
Former England and Northamptonshire Cricket Player Devon Malcolm has recently been selected to be a match referee by the English Cricket Board and has a wonderful story to tell of his connection with Nelson Mandela. Soft drinks will be served.
Black Pioneers, With Steve Stephenson MBE
Saturday 16 October, 4.30 – 6.30pm
Former Principal Equalities Officer for Northamptonshire, Steve had a strong connection with the local area and has written ‘Cold Arrival: Life in a Second Homeland” with Olive Robinson from the ACES Centre.
Soft drinks will be served
Family Activity Day: Black Children and Identity
Saturday 23 October, 11am – 1pm (arrive from 10.30am)
Stories, poetry, craft and a Caribbean Quiz for all the family.
- Hear Steve Stephenson talk about Black Children and Identity
- Join in with a creative workshop with Marvin Mudzongo from Lemonpop Workshops.
- Celebrate Black History by making your own flags and get a free sketchbook to start creating at home.
- Don’t forget to bring your Taste of the Windrush activity packs for a chance to win a prize.
- Stories and poems from members of the community.
- Quiz for children with prizes.
- For younger children, have a chance to explore a real Police car with local officers.
Children must attend with an adult. Soft drinks will be served.
This programme has been supported by the Black Community Forum in Wellingborough as part of Made With Many’s Programme, funded by Arts Council England.
For more info about events by the Black Community Forum, please contact our Wellingborough Community Engagement Co-ordinator, Myrle Roach email@example.com
More Black History month events
Find more events and inspiration for Black History Month