Update Monday 19th June 2021
Artist Callout (now closed)
Views of the High Street, Kettering
Made With Many are looking for 15 locally based artists to create new work depicting Kettering town centre, as part of the Kettering Cultural Consortium programme.
Kettering Cultural Consortium, a group of the leading cultural groups in the town working with North Northamptonshire Council, have received funding from Historic England for an exciting programme of artistic, cultural and heritage events around the town centre. Events will include guided walks and talks, exhibitions of art, heritage, photography, local industries and street theatre.
The Kettering Cultural Consortium includes; Friends of Kettering Art Gallery and Museum, Kettering Civic Society, Picture the Difference and Wicksteed Park, and associates; Friends of Kettering Library, Kettering and District Art Society and Northamptonshire Heritage Forum.
Views of the High Street
Made With Many have been commissioned to deliver a pop-up event in Kettering town centre, over the first two weekends of September 2021. Inspired by the ‘Landscape Artist of the Year’ on Sky Arts, we are looking for locally based artists to create a new work depicting Kettering town centre live on Kettering High Street, Gold Street, Market Square and the surrounding areas.
Over 2 weekends, artists will be in a series of gazebos across the town centre to create their work, which will then by displayed in a town centre venue (exact location to be confirmed). There will also be the opportunity for local residents and visitors to the town centre to create their own work of art, either with their own materials or through collecting an activity pack from the team.
We are looking for a mix of styles and mediums (eg sculpture, painting, textiles, pottery, drawing, digital) to create a varied exhibition and showcase the wide range of visual arts activity. We would the exhibition to include a range of interpretations on the theme, including abstract work, both architectural and people driven views alongside wide shots and detailed interpretations of smaller details. The exhibition will include historical details about the town centre, linking to each work, as well as details of future development work, such as improvements to shop fronts and street furniture.
We are looking for artists who:
- Can create a new art work within the allotted time frame (10am – 4pm on the weekends of the 4th/5th and/or 11th/12th September 2021). We do not expect all artists to be creating in the town centre for the entire project period and are anticipating that each artist will spend at least one day creating their work. Completed work will need to be ready for exhibition by Wednesday 15th September 2021.
- Can demonstrate excellence in their medium
- Are local to Kettering or have a strong connection to the town
- Are experienced in interacting with the general public, and willing to discuss their work with passers-by
- Are over 18 years of age
Applications will be assessed using the following criteria:
- Quality of work
- Experience in working with the general public
- Local connection
- Balance of mediums and styles
- Balance of artists from different backgrounds, ages etc
Each artist will be paid £300, to include all fees, materials, travel and VAT (if applicable).
Ownership of the final work will sit with the Kettering Cultural Consortium and a full agreement will be made with each artist to include details of permitted ongoing use. Artists will also be asked to agree to a Code of Conduct for creating work in public.
A contract will be issued by the Made With Many. The commission will be made to an organisation or as a freelance contract. The organisation/practitioner will be responsible for all tax liabilities and National Insurance or similar contributions.
How To Apply
Applications will be assessed by a community decision-making panel, including members of the Kettering Cultural Consortium, who will work with the Made with Many team to select the Artists.
To apply please send the following, to email@example.com by Friday 23rd July 2021
- A CV, highlighting your experience of working with the general public, as either a document (2 sides of A4) or short film (up to 2mins)
- Up to 3 examples of recent, relevant work
- A completed Expression of Interest Form
For an informal conversation about this opportunity, please contact Tom Briggs on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07923 221759
- Download the pdf Views of the High Street Artist Callout
- Download the Word Expression Of Interest form
Made With Many is committed to equal opportunities. We are working to achieve diversity and welcome applications from all sections of the community. In support of this, we have an access budget available to disabled artists delivering aspects of our programme. If you require additional support to complete this contract, please outline these in your application. Any such requests will not affect the outcome of our decisions. If you require additional support in making an application, or would like this information in an alternative format, please contact the office on 01536 267895 or email@example.com