Join in with your community in celebrating the Festival of Lights
Update – winners of this competition have been announced HERE
Made With Many have teamed up with the Asha Deep project, Support Northamptonshire and Wellingborough District Hindu Association to deliver 300 activity packs around the Victoria and Isebrook wards in Wellingborough so that the community can join in with celebrating Diwali starting on 13th November 2020. The packs include activities that all members of the family can join in with, including decorating your own diya lights (which are traditionally used to decorate homes during Diwali) and a Rangoli pattern design competition.
Project Producer Sarah Brown commented,
“We are fast approaching the time of year when some of us will be preparing to celebrate the Festival of Lights – including Diwali, Christmas and Hanukah. This year more than ever, these celebrations will be important to brighten up our lives through the pandemic, and as winter approaches.”
Rangoli design competition
Rangoli is a popular Diwali tradition – beautiful patterns made using colourful powders, flowers or embellished designs to bring good luck.
Even if you haven’t received an activity pack you can join in with a competition to design a Rangoli pattern by downloading one of the templates below, or designing your own. These could be coloured in, embellished with ribbons, tissue paper, or items that you can find around the home. You can even display your design in a window to add a bit of colour to your area this November!
Enter the Competition
To enter, email a photo of your design with your name, age and a contact telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org (under 16s should ask a parent or guardian to email on their behalf). The judging will be based on the most imaginative patterns.
Each prize category has 3 prizes – a £25 High Street Voucher for the winner and two runner up prizes of a £10 High Street Voucher. There will be competition winner for each of the following categories:
– Age under 10
– Age 11-18
– Age 19 and over
– Adults with disabilities or additional needs
Please see full competition terms and conditions below
The closing date for entries is 11th November at 5.00pm and results will be announced on 13th November 2020.
For shielding and self-isolating households
There are a limited number of packs available for delivery to shielding households, and those who are having to self isolate and these can be reserved by emailing email@example.com with your address. These will be delivered in the week leading up to Diwali on 9th November.
Terms and Conditions for the Rangoli Design Competition
- The competition opens on Thursday 5th November and runs until Wednesday 11th November at 5pm.
- This competition is open to all residents from the Borough of Wellingborough (and people linked to the project partner organisations) who can enter a Rangoli design by sending a photograph of their design to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entries for Under 16s must be sent by a parent or guardian.
- Competition entries can be made in the following age categories: Under 10, 11-18, 19 plus
- There will be 3 competition winners for each age category who will receive a high street shopping voucher.
- By entering a photograph of your Rangoli Design, you give permission for the photograph to be used for Marketing purposes, and be shared online. Winning entries will be shared on social media and via WhatsApp groups.
- Competition winners will be announced on Friday 13th November and will be contacted after that date with their voucher.
- The winners’ names will also be announced on social media and on the website madewithmany.org
- Prizes of vouchers will either be sent out by post or hand-delivered.
- Employees of Made With Many and their immediate families, or any partner organisation representative involved in the project and their immediate families are not eligible to enter the competition.
- Made With Many cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the Competition or as a result of accepting any prize.
- Prizes are non-transferable and there is no cash alternative.
- Demographic data of entrants will be used in an anonymised format as part of our action research into new audiences for art in Wellingborough in accordance with the Made With Many funding agreement with Arts Council England.